Monday, February 16, 2009

Riches

This past weekend Ollie, Livie and I along with my parents went to church. It's been a really long time since I've been. I've been wanting to. I've been meaning to. But truthfully I have just been too lazy on the weekends to go. It was really nice to be reconnect to my inner self. It's a part of me that I tend to ignore throughout the busy weeks. I was surprised by how much I missed it.

I was also really touched by topic of the day. The pator talked about the rich. If someone were to ask me if I was rich, I would say no. I mean Ollie and I work hard and do have nice things but I'm not living it up celebrity-style. I don't wear designer jeans. I don't eat at Del Friscos. I don't even feel comfortable at SouthPark mall. I shop at Wal-mart and pretty much only buy clothes that are on sale at the outlet malls. Mostly this is becuase I've just felt like anything else was just sort of wasteful.

I sometimes wonder though if I had more money if I would change. Really it doesn't matter... as the pastor reminded me - I am rich. By the rest of the world's standards I have more than most could ever even dream of. I have a beautiful new home. I have a great car to take me places. I have clean clothes (even if they aren't the coolest). I have good food to eat.

Beyond the material... I have a family that has supported me through the highest highs and the lowest of lows. I have an amazing husband that is my best friend in the entire world and that is my complete and total partner in life. Everything we do - we do through teamwork. I have an incredible daughter that makes me smile EVERY, SINGLE day. She is a complete ray of light in my world. We are also soon to be blessed with the arrival of another baby in May.

Really, what else could I ever hope or want for?

So yesterday not only was I reminded that I am richer than I would typically admit, but that we should pass these riches on... not just keep them to ourselves. It may seem silly but as the pastor was speaking he mentioned that when we see someone that is homeless on the street, we quickly find something else to do so we don't have to look at them. Truthfully, I usually smile at them... mainly becuase I don't want to think I don't see them. But really, is a smile passing on your riches? On some days... I think it is. Yesterday I decided I could do something more. I bought an 8pack of Lance crackers. The next time I see someone with a sign on the street I'm going to pass on a package of crackers with a note attached for where they may be able to find resources for help. It's not much. But it's food and maybe a little hope. It's something.

I hope that this is a lesson I can someday pass on to Olivia & Ace. So how else can I pass on the blessings I've recieved? Any ideas?


One of my GREATEST riches.

No comments: