About a week ago I needed to stop at Harris Teeter on the way home. I plopped Ace and Livie into one of the two-seater grocery carts (or a "buggy" as we like to call them in the south) with the steering wheels. This was actually there first time in the "car buggy" since most stores don't have them and the ones that do only have like 2 of them and they are usually in use.
So away, we're cruising through the aisles and Livie and spinning her steering wheel telling me not to push the cart because, "I can drive it mommy." and belting out "The Wheels on the Bus". We may or may not have gotten a few looks.
When we got to the milk section, I asked her to "sing a bit more quietly". I wasn't yelling at or scolding her in any way. An older gentleman informed me that she was "just being a kid". My reply, "Yes, I know, she just needs to be a kid quietly." What I SHOULD have said, "You're right, I should encourage her to sing at the top of her lungs while in public. While we're at it, I should probably let her out of the cart to run up and down the asiles. I should let her take all of the free sugar cookies from the bakery. I should let her lay down on the floor kicking her feet when I don't buy the chocolate covered Dibs that she wants. I mean, after all she's just being a kid."
2 comments:
oh girl I get it all the time. Lauren had to sit in time out at Target last week. I at least walked down an empty aisle but she has to sit there, even if its in public, or she doesn't learn. I got the biggest go to you know what look from a lady. Im terrible and say "yes, can I help you?" Horrible! But I get that junk ALL the time!
oh man, preach it. mind your business, old man! and i LOVE your cousin giving time outs in target when needed, i am totally following that lead when Evan is old enough to sit still and listen! (will that ever happen??) :)
Post a Comment