Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Showing Grace


I just read a post that completely hit me.  As a mom there have been so many times that I've lost my patience.  With Livie.  I hate that.  I feel so guilty afterwards.  Ollie and I both continuously remind each other she's only 3.  She's so beyond 3 in so many ways we tend to forget.  But she has in fact only been on this earth for 3 short years.  It is upsetting when she doesn't listen.  And when she talks back.  And when she demands things instead of asking politely.  So often I feel as if all I am doing is correcting and scolding and yelling and marching her into timeout.  And today I read this

It was a gentle and perfectly timed reminder that sometimes the best way to handle bad behavior is through grace - not frustration.  That is something I need to remember.  She is one of the loves of my life.  She needs my guidance more often than punishment.  Certainly that has a place in teaching too, but I just think I need to remember to show a little grace first. 

1 comment:

SMillwood said...

It can be so hard to show grace to a little one who is not behaving well, but as Dr. Marvin Marshall writes: 1)being POSITIVE ("As soon as you put the toys away, we can..."), 2)giving CHOICES ("Would you like help picking that up or do you want to do it yourself?"), and 3)REFLECTION - asking reflective questions ("How can you play without bothering your brother?") all build responsible kids. Liv is incredibly smart, lovable, and of course, forgivable by grace just as you said when she forgets to be her best. Just ask ganma, she is an ANGEL and so is her little brother!