
Ingredients:
1 pound of ziti, penne or cavatappi
1 pound of Italian sweet sausage (I use Hillshire Farms Light Smoked Sauage)
2 tablespoons of EVOO
1 tablespoon of butter
3 or 4 cloves garlic chopped (I can't stand trying to get garlic cloves open - I use the kind in a jar and just spoon it out)
12 crimini mushrooms, sliced (I use any kind of fresh mushrooms)
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1 cup of chicken stock (I use Rachael Ray's or Wolfgang Puck's - most others are too salty for me)
1 cup heavy cream
1 sack (2.5 cups) shredded Italian cheese blend
1 can diced tomatoes, drained well (I get the kind that have the Italian seasoning)
1 teaspoon of hot sauce (I leave this out)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, a couple of handfuls
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to broil.
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt water and cook pasta to a chewy al dente, about 8 minutes.
In a nonstick skillet, brown and crumble the sausage (I leave the casing on but you can take it off). Drain cooked crumbles on paper towel lined plate. Return pan to heat and add extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), butter, garlic and mushrooms. Season liberally with salt and pepper (I'm not that liberal). Saute 3 to 5 minutes, until mushrooms are lightly golden.
To mushrooms, add flour and stir, cooking 2 minutes. Whisk in stock, then stir in cream. Bring cream to a bubble, then stir in 2 cups of cheese blend. When cheese has melted into sauce, add tomatoes. When sauce comes to a bubble, remove from heat and adjust seasonings, ading hot sauce if desired.
Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta, transfer to a baking dish, casserole or oven safe serving platter. Sprinkly remaining 1/4 cheese blend and grated Parmesan over the top and brown under hot broiler.
Note: I sometimes add diced onions when I'm making the sauce. I just like the added flavor.
Serves: 4 plus leftovers
Enjoy!
2 comments:
Looks great! And now I am hungry!
Ummm yumo cousin :) I've never seen this one before. This is lame but I'm printing out my favorites, binding them together, & totally trying them over the next several months!
Post a Comment