Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Please Pardon Our Mess

After many busy weekends this past weekend we finally had NO PLANS!  It was fantastic!  We caught up on the little things like cleaning bathrooms and floors and laundry and doing a little furniture re-arranging.  By midday Sunday Ollie and I were basking in the clean.  It feels so nice when everything is tidy.  It never lasts, I know this.  But I didn't really expect our house to be in complete shambles less than 24 hours later.

When I walked in the house yesterday, our washer and dryer were in the family room and the toilets were in the bathtubs (yes, you read that right - toilets IN the bathtubs).  My carpet was covered in plastic wrap and hardwoods covered in foamboard.  I can live with toys strewn about and dishes in the sink.  But this was a bit much.  So much for enjoying a clean put together house. 

It all started with our master bath tiles.  Whenever you stepped foot on them it sounded like you were walking on a path of Rice Krispies.  Apparently this has been a problem in many of the houses in our hood and goes back to some faulty backer board underneath the tiles.  Yesterday the flooring company started the process of ripping up the old tiles putting in new backer board and laying the new tiles.  It is a messy job! 

The good news is that the tile replacement is all covered under our warranty and we will have shiny new tiles. 

Hopefully in a day or two we can get back to "normal" and Livie won't have to worry about being "scared of the plastic floors" and we won't have to worry about Ace stepping on tack strips.  :)

Side story:  I was the first one to get to work on Monday morning.  I walked in to dehumidifiers and fans blaring.  Our office flooded over the weekend.  They are estimating it was around 3000 gallons of water.  Filing cabinets are strewn about, there's floor to ceiling zippered plastic walls (think ET's quarantine), holes drilled in the baseboards, and the smell... don't get me started on that.  So apparently I'm meant to be in disarray everywhere I go for the time being.

No comments: