Ace is now 6 months old (as of last Wednesday actually). Really? 6 months? Yes, somehow he's already reached his half birthday. For a belated celebration I took him to the doctor yesterday for his routine well visit. I knew there were a few things I wanted the Dr. to check out. He's had kind of a bad cough, but no fever or anything, so I assumed it was just a cold but I figured I would mention it. He also has a couple of dry skin patches. Ollie and his brother have the same thing, so I just assumed this was something that was passed down.
As the doctor started to check Ace over she determined that he has eczema. Nothing too big to worry about there - just a little cream will fix him right up. It doesn't completely go away but at least he won't be uncomfortable and itchy.
She moved along checking him all over. She listened to his lungs. They sounded pretty good. But thankfully he coughed for her and she thought it sounded bad enough to need some medi to clear it up.
Then she checked his ears. "Oh, this one is infected. Let's see the other one. It's a little waxy - let me clean it out. Yes, this one's infected too." I stood there, jaw dropped, eyes wide. I had NO IDEA. So if there are any doubters out there about my little man's disposition, let this serve as an example as to how laid back and calm this baby is. He didn't cry, he didn't refuse to eat, was not lathargic in any way, he had no fever. I got nothin' to let me know he was hurting. Clearly he has my tolerance for pain. :)
So I walked in thinking he needed lotion and maybe had a cold. I walked out with a sick baby that needed hydrocortizone, albuterol and amoxicillin (he also had another round of shots - poor guy). And since his sister had the same cough I thought I should get her in too. Turns out, she needed the albuterol for her cough and she too had a double ear infection (no fever, no mention of her ears hurting). Unbelievable!
On a positive note, Ace is growing growing! He's now 27" long and 16 pounds. He's gone from 50% on height to 75% and stayed at around 25% on weight. He smiled at the nurse and giggled when the doctor was pressing on his tummy. He really does have the sweetest little personality.
Update: Since the kids have started their medi they are in wonderful spirits! The "cold" I thought was bothering them is making it's exit just in time for the festivities next week!

3 comments:
seriously, it's weird to complain about AWESOME dispositioned kids who don't let you know they are sick because they are so happy, and you feel awful because the DOCTOR has to tell you that they are sick, but it certainly doesn't do much for your self-esteem as a mom, does it?? glad everyone is already starting to feel better! have a great thanksgiving next week!
WHAT THE HECK!!! They both seemed fine to me too! I never would have guessed. Both Livs and Ace were great while I was there. I can understand Ace not whining about it, but Livers? Seriously? If she wasnt feeling well, I thought we'd all know! I'm glad they got some medi. Give them kisses for me. :)
oh poor babies! We've been there with the ear infections but Lauren always let us know, HA!
We hope they are all fabulous for next week. We have to see our little cousins!!
Post a Comment