Monday, December 21, 2009

Just a Bad Dream

Last night Livie woke up in the middle of the night.  She wasn't crying.  She was just standing at her door saying, "Mommy, I need your help" over and over.  I got out of bed and opened her door.  She looked up and said, "Chewie's tail is broken.  It broke off.  I broke his tail."  I said, "No hunny, Chewie is fine."  She said, "Mommy, his tail broke."  I went into our bedroom, grabbed sleeping Chewie off of his doggie bed and brought him into her room so that she could see him.  She smiled.  "Chewie's ok."  "Yes, sweetheart he's ok.  You just had a bad dream." 

What was interesting to me was that she was so calm about it.  She just wanted my help to fix him.  She's still at an age to where she thinks if something is broken mommy and daddy can always fix it.  How I wish that were true. 

The other interesting thing to me was that when my brother was probably 8 or 9 years old he had a pet iguana, Iggy.  One day he and my mom were cleaning out Iggy's cage.  My brother was holding him and he decided to take off.  Ben reached for anything he could grab to stop him - his tail.  But the tail broke off in my brother's hand.  I wasn't in the room but  heard the screams and came running.  It was tramatic.  Iggy survived but was never ever the same.  Some things just can't be fixed to be the way they were. 


And then, some things can be fixed with just a Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay hat. 

1 comment:

Rebecca Gautreaux said...

when do they start the compassion? evan TRIES to pull off max's tail every chance he gets. :) livie is a sweetheart!