Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Big Game

College football is nearly over.  Sniff.  Sniff.  It's really one of my favorite times of year.  I love the excitement.  I love the cheers.  I love the chants.  I love the band.  I love the passion.  I love the game.

This past weekend was the end of the season for my Gamecocks.  It was flat out embarrassing.  We lost to UCONN - a team that's only been playing Division 1 (or FBS) football since 2002.  2002!  And we didn't just lose.  We were pummeled.  The Huskies actually took a knee at the end when they could have easily scored again.  THAT is not supposed to happen.  Not to an SEC team.  Seriously. 

The SEC.  There's something special about the SEC.  I don't think that there is another conference that has a much loyalty between the schools as the SEC.  I remember when Florida won the National Championship a few years ago (when Chris Leak was QB), they didn't chant "Ga-tors! Ga-tors!"  or "UFL!  UFL!"  They - the team & the fans - chanted SEC!  SEC!  Other schools in other conferences just don't do that.  UNC & Duke don't chant "ACC!" when they win the Dance.  The SEC is special.

Ollie doesn't get it.  Why would you cheer for your rivals?  I've told him over and over it's just conference pride.  If your team can't get the job done, then at least maybe another one that you compete against can.  I do the same thing for the Panthers and the NFC South.  Ollie says that conference pride doesn't translate in the NFL.  To me it does - it's just that SEC mentality.   

I'm glad the Gamecocks are part of it.  Even though it's tough.  Toughness is good - especially in football.  So on Thursday night you can bet that i'll be rolling with The Tide and the rest of SEC nation.

No comments: