Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chewie

I've had a little Shih Tzu for almost 12 years. Actually he was my parents and brother's dog first.  They got him when I was away at school.  He was the most charming and playful little dog.  So when I moved out on my own, I took him.  Just stole him right away from my parents and brother. 

I walked him everyday.  I played ball with him.  I cuddled him.

But almost 3 years ago everything changed.  I brought a little baby girl home with me.  My little dog didn't know what to make of this tiny, loud infant.  As she got older the relationship went from a little uncertainty to extreme dislike.  My dog did not like my daughter.  At all.  He snapped at her.  He growled at her.  It didn't help that the walks, ball playing and cuddling stopped.  His life was turned upside down. 

When I brought my son home I thought maybe things would go better with a boy.  Not so much. 

My little dog has retaliated to our life changes by chewing on and peeing on everything in site. It has been exhausting and frustrating. 

I have many times found myself wanting to just give him away to anyone with a pulse.

But then I remember him before my children where born and before he had to share me - he was my buddy.  I still love my Chewie.  But I'm at a loss as for what to do.  Nothing seems to work and we admitedly do not have the time and dedication that it takes to keep him happy any more.  I'm really sad, but I don't know what to do. 

1 comment:

Todd and Courtney said...

oooo Chewie, this makes me sad. Maybe obedience school?? It worked great with Belle and Brandi is getting ready to take Bella. It's amazing what they learn in only a 1 hour class. I think we took Belle to 10 classes, all on a Wednesday night at like 7pm at Petsmart. They have classes for older dogs too.