Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Dog Whisperer


I shouldn't... but I will... 4 days people! 4 days!!

I think my daughter has a gift. I think she's like that Cesar guy on TV that can get dogs to do as commanded. When Livie got home last night she wandered over to Chewie's water bowl and dog food (she keeps trying to eat the stuff). She then squatted down, pointed to the ground, looked at Chewie and said, "sit" (at first I thought it might be one of those 4 letter football words but after she said it again I realized it wasn't). You know what? That little dog actually sat. In a typical household this would not be such a big deal, but you have to understand we are not great Shih Tzu parents and have done a really poor job training him. He pretty what does whatever he wants to do. So for Chewie to listen to this little girl (who by the way he's not real crazy about... you know taking his spot as baby of the family and all) is pretty amazing.

But wait... there's more! This morning Livie discovered her "outside" voice. When I drop her off not only does my wonderful mother get to take care of her but she is also charged with taking care of Chewie. I don't know how she manages everything that we have put on her plate... but that's for another day. As I opened the car door Chewie jumped out and cruised over to the mailbox to mark his territory while I unbuckled Liv from her car seat restraints. As she and I got out of the car I called out to Chew-man, "Come here Chewie!". Olivia followed it up by yelling loud enough for it to echo, "Come air Chewie!", "Come air Chewie!" "Come air Chewie!" He actually listened and trotted right over. Unbelieveable!

Seriously, I think my child has a gift! What's next horses?

No comments: